Imago Online Clinical Training
|Ben Cohen, PhD and
Kobus van der Merwe, BA, BD
|Imago Clinical Training: Days 1-2
||Sept. 12 – Oct. 3, 2017
|| 1 – 3 pm EDT
Imago Clinical Training: Days 1-2
Dates & Times:
September 12 – October 3, 2017
Live Course Meetings: September 12, 19, 26 and October 3 (1-3 pm EDT)
16 APA, ASWB, IMAGO
Until September 5, 2017 : $295
After September 5, 2017: $345
CE Credits: $30 additional
This online Distance Learning course is designed to introduce mental health professionals to the theoretical foundations and clinical applications of Imago Relationship Therapy, a powerful and effective approach to couples therapy and counseling.
These two days are divided into 4 modules that include: 1) an introduction to the Imago Dialogue, 2) the Imago feedback process, and 3) two of the four Imago meta-theory Journeys of the Self: The Cosmic and Evolutionary Journeys.
This course will enable you to experience, for yourself, the powerful intervention of the Imago Dialogue in couples therapy and provide you with a taste of the power of the “space between” the dyad. You will practice and experience using Imago skills and begin to see the effectiveness of this intervention and understand why it is so powerful and impactful.
Participants will be able to:
- Articulate the core tenants of Imago Relationship Theory
- Explain the impact of childhood experiences on adult love relationships
- Distinguish the relational paradigm and how this paradigm informs couples therapy
- Describe how developmental wounding impacts a couple and how to use this information in couples’ therapy.
- Discuss the concept of the Imago and the role it plays in partner selection and on the committed partnership.
- Facilitate a couple’s ability to communicate across different subject matters using a healthy interpersonal process that is dialogical in nature.
- Guide clients in the art of expressing themselves to their partners from a non-judgmental place of self-disclosure using strategic sentence stems.
- Provide psycho-education to couples helping them to accept the idea that committed partnership is a journey from unconscious to conscious relating (moving them from reactivity to intentionality) and from symbiosis to empathy.
- Help couples increase relational and emotional safety through empathic mirroring and validation, enhancing differentiation
- Teach additional skills of secure attachment and emotion regulation to couples
- Demonstrate to couples the neuro-biological importance of safety in relationships